Re: [Bizgres-general] A Guide to Constraint Exclusion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [Bizgres-general] A Guide to Constraint Exclusion
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 11:10 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Bruce: could you change this TODO item
>
>   o Prevent child tables from altering constraints like CHECK that were
>     inherited from the parent table

>   o Prevent new child tables from inheriting constraints defined on
>     parents with keyword ONLY:
>       alter table ONLY t add constraint c check(x=y);
>     Prevent child tables from altering constraints that were
>     inherited from the parent table (i.e were defined without
>     ONLY/with ALL)

My thought was to introduce a new type of constraint, ABSTRACT.

This would not be inherited (it is not a check constraint). It would
allow a table to be declared "will never contain rows".

This fits better with the ideas and common understandings of
inheritance.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs