Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Implementing SQL/PSM for PG 8.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 10:40 +1000, Neil Conway wrote:
> Jan Wieck wrote:
> > The whole parser is a hack that attempts to parse the procedural parts
> > of the function but preserving the SQL parts as query strings while
> > substituting variables with numbered parameters. That is anything but
> > clean. It was the only way I saw at the time of implementation to build
> > a parser that automatically supports future changes of the main Postgres
> > query language.
>
> I agree the current parser is a hack, but it's difficult to see how else
> it could be implemented. One possibility I've mentioned in the past is

Could the reverse be done? Combine the PL/PgSQL and SQL grammar for the
main parser (thus allowing procedural logic in standard SQL locations)
and perhaps for the other PLs they can hook into a specific statement
grammar which is a subset of the PL/PgSQL grammar by prefixing a keyword
-- say EXECUTE to their strings.

I would like to have some logic in psql, much as you can build simple
loops and logic with shell on the command line on the fly.