Re: functions-matching.html: Tip says use "Per or Tcl ... ? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: functions-matching.html: Tip says use "Per or Tcl ... ?
Date
List pgsql-docs
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> Tip
> If you have pattern matching needs that go beyond this, consider writing a
> user-defined function in Perl or Tcl.

> I think Perl or Tcl are not the common choice today.
> AFAIK Python is quite popular, and they have a good regex implementationd,
> too.

If Python had a trusted PL variant, I'd be happy to recommend that here.
But as long as we only have plpythonu, it's pretty hard to recommend
it for run-of-the-mill tasks like pattern matching.

(The lack of plain plpython isn't our fault; it's that Python has
no sandboxing mechanism.)

            regards, tom lane