Re: forcing postgresql 7.3 to use crypt passwords - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: forcing postgresql 7.3 to use crypt passwords
Date
List pgsql-admin
Kenny Drobnack <kenny@jumpline.com> writes:
> We currently have multiple databases running different versions of
> postgresql ranging from version 7.1 to 7.3. When we create users in 7.3
> databases, it encrypts their passwords with md5, which is not supported
> in 7.1. Is there some way to force postgresql 7.3 to use the old crypt
> encryption for passwords when creating users?

AFAIR the previous approach was not to encrypt passwords at all in
pg_shadow.  You can still do that with ALTER USER ... UNENCRYPTED PASSWORD
(also there's a setting to make this the default behavior).

            regards, tom lane