Re: pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: pgFoundry
Date
Re: pgFoundry  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 12:50, Lamar Owen wrote:
> >From a sidelines point of view, a developer status summary page would allow
> one to follow development without having to read every message in HACKERS.
> At this point in my work, I am unable to follow development like I once did
> (one reason I stepped down as RPM maintainer) and have no real idea of the
> direction for 8.1 as a result.

I don't think anyone is against this idea, but as of yet no one has
stepped forward with the time to keep such a thing updated.

> The only way in my mind to get this dynamism on the website is to make the
> website part of the process at some level.  If someone has to go through and
> digest for the website (hacker-bits, a la general bits) then that takes away
> developer resources (because someone has to be fairly close to the
> development process to do that sort of digestion).  Rather, if developers are
> using a system that automatically pushes to a web interface (or even uses a
> web interface with a cli component) then the status is automatically
> generated and the work of updating status is distributed.

One idea I've tossed around is requiring patches to include release
notes, and then display the release notes on the web site as a "done so
far" type of list. It doesn't get you what is under active development,
but would get you a more up-to-date picture of changes as a release
evolves.

Robert Treat