Re: p2p ip connection problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: p2p ip connection problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Am Freitag, den 29.04.2005, 16:40 -0400 schrieb typing80wpm@aol.com:
> I can connect to the database on the server machine using pgadminIII
> and, it installed as a windows service. And I created one test
> database called usfo
>
> I have not succeeded in getting it to work yet using pg explorer from
> another client machine on the p2p.

Please tell us what this means "... not succeeded in getting it to
work..."
What exactly did you try and what error messages did you get?
What did you do to debug so far? e.g. do you get a response
to the ping <ip> command from client to server? Are you able
to use other services from the client to that server?

I assume all of the boxes are windows? If yes, which version?
If XP, which servicepack? Did you check the XP built in Firewall?

Just a sidenote (not an actual problem but worth to know imho):
192.0.0.0/8 isnt really a private subnet.

192.168.0.0/16 is.
10.0.0.0/8 is
and 172.16.0.0/12 is.

> I followed Tony's suggestions
> namely
> In pg_hba.conf
> I added
> host all all 192.0.0.101/32 md5
>
> (my client machine is 192.0.0.101)
> and I changed postgresql.conf to say
> listen_addresses = '*'
> ========================
> PG Explorer on my client is asking for:
> COMMON NAME: ??? (I am uncertain about this)
> HOST: 192.0.0.9
> Default database: ??? (I am uncertain about this)
> Database port: 5432

Common Name is probably just a handle you give
to your database. Default database is the one
where the first connect is made (similar to
pgadmin if you look there) which is template1
usually. You can also just use your created
database there.

> ======================================
> I know absolutely ZERO about any of this stuff.
> All I know is to go to the DOS prompt and key in
> IPCONFIG  and it tells me, on the machine I want to
> use as client,  IP Address 192.0.0.101, subnet mask
> 255.255.255.0  default gateway 192.0.0.254
>
> and on the machine which has postgresql for
> windows, if I do ipconfig, it says...
>
> IP address 192.0.0.9
> subnet mask 255.255.255.0
> default gateway 192.0.0.254
> Our company has ZERO money to give to consultants,
> so please dont suggest that. If I cant figure out
> how to make this work, then we just live without
> it. But it would give me a tremendous sense of
> personal satisfaction to prove to myself that
> postgresql can work on this little p2p network, and
> I could do one or two useful things to help the
> office.
>
> There MUST be some little command I can run to tell
> me the secret numbers and how to plug them into the
> config files for postgresql. It can be rocket
> science.
>
> I can tell you that we have a Xyzel router to bring
> in the DSL, and a Cisco Linksys hub... if that gives
> any clues.

I wonder how the DSL is any related to that problem.
I'm not sure I understand the p2p term in your case
either. (I know P2P as point-to-point)
Maybe you can give us an ascii art drawing or your
setup (where it works and where not)

[Server (ip)] -+-- [Client1, works (ip)]
               +---[Client2, does not work (ip)]

or something.

HTH
Tino