Re: Reduce size of $PGDATA for "demo cdrom"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Reduce size of $PGDATA for "demo cdrom"?
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:10, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> Hi all -
>      We've got a product built on FreeBSD and PostgreSQL 7.4.2 that
> I've had to fit onto an installable CDROM tradeshows and customer demos.
> This is the only way I've found to ensure an easy to re-install option
> for the non-technical folks at the tradeshows should they corrupt the box
> itself.  This part all works fine.
>
> However, I've only got 700mb to work with and the bootable CDROM takes a
> chunk of that as does the rest of our app.
>
> Doing a pg_dumpall of the database results in a 369Kb file.
>
> However, $PGDATA is around 60mb.
>
> root@tradeshow:/local/pgsql/data% du -hcs base/* pg_xlog/*
> 4.4M    base/1
> 4.4M    base/17141
> 4.4M    base/17144
> 4.4M    base/17145
> 6.6M    base/17146
> 5.4M    base/17147
>   16M    pg_xlog/0000000000000006
>   16M    pg_xlog/0000000000000007
>   62M    total
>

> My question is what's the best way to trim that down?  I realize I could
> remove it completely and have my install script do an initdb, etc, but if
> there's anyway to keep the installation intact to begin with I'd prefer
> that.

My first recommendation would be to put everything into one database.
it looks like you've got 6 databases.  If you've still got the template0
database, you can probably get rid of that one as well.  If you're not
going to need to create any new databases you can maybe drop template1
too.

psql somedbotherthanthetemplateones
update pg_database set datistemplate=false;
drop database template0;
drop database template1;

Set the checkpoint_segments = 1 in the postgresql.conf file.  Not sure
how much that will help, but it should keep the checkpoint files at 16
meg.

Lastly, put those other four or databases into separate schemas in one
database.