Re: Suitable Database version - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Suitable Database version
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 12:27, Santharam wrote:
> Hi All,
>         I am recently planning to use PostgreSQL to be my backend for
> my Java web based application in JBoss application server. This is to
> be moved to the production environment. I don't want to change the
> postgresql version for next few years. So, I want a stable version of
> postgresql to be used for this. Can anybody tell me the most suitable
> version for my need. Of course, I am expecting the database to be
> huge.

I'd go straight to 8.0.2 if you're just getting started.  By the time
you have anything really ready for production, 8.0 will have gone from
stable to very stable.  The extra features 8.0 has (table spaces,
improved query planner, PITR, and many more) make it a great choice for
large databases.

Whether you stick to one major version for years or not, make sure to
keep up to date on the patch level releases.  It's not uncommon for
people to show up on the list running a truly old version of postgresql,
with known but fixed bugs, that they could have avoided if they'd
updated to the latest patch level fixed version (i.e. 7.4.7 where the .7
is the patch or revision number)