Re: Encoding and Conversion Question(s) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Encoding and Conversion Question(s)
Date
List pgsql-general
Dave Lazar <hunkybill@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a database that was created with the encoding set to SQL_ASCII.
> A lot of data comes with accented characters.

You need to figure out what encoding that data is actually in (hint:
it's not ASCII) and specify that encoding as the client_encoding in
the restore script.  Postgres will then be able to convert the data
to UTF-8 correctly.

If the data is actually all in one encoding, this shouldn't be too
painful.  If it's in a mishmash of different encodings, you are in
for some pain getting things fixed up :-(

            regards, tom lane