Re: CentOS questions (From MySQL -> PGSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: CentOS questions (From MySQL -> PGSQL)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 09:50, Erick Papadakis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some newbie questions that the archive search did not help me
> with.
>
> 1. Will PGSQL work on CentOS? Should I download RH Enterprise
> 3.0 binaries? Or RedHat 9.0 binaries?
>
> 2. Is there a startup kit with 6-7 easy install steps for a
> TOTAL NEWBIE? MySQL seems to be pretty easy to install (sorry
> for this comparison, but I have no choice). I tried some
> recommended links at www.phpbuilder.com etc, but they mention
> things that just dont work (e.g., execute linuxconf at the
> 'command prompt' -- well it doesn't work for me).
>
> 3. This comes a bit later in the game, but are there any scripts
> or easy ways to convert a MySQL database into PGSQL database?

Since Centos is, I believe, just a free versions of RHEL, I can't see
why simply grabbing the PostgreSQL RPMS that come with the distro and
installing them shouldn't work.

Have you tried using the those yet?  If so, and you had problems, what
were they?