Re: [Fwd: [webmaster] in Search of free hosting with - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [Fwd: [webmaster] in Search of free hosting with
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 07:43, tony wrote:
> Le dimanche 03 avril 2005 à 04:10 -0700, Jaqui Greenlees a écrit :
> > Sim Zacks wrote:
> > > dot geeks home page
> > >     " The new server will *not support PostgreSQL* so please migrate your DB
> > > to MySQL (using the mygeek area of the site) or SQLite. "
> > > Why they would switch from Postgres to MySQL and not allow the postgres
> > > anymore is beyond me.
> > >

> > maybe they feel the slight improvement in speed with mysql is worth
> > removing the postgrsql support.
> > mysql is slightly faster in most cases, but it's enterprise class uses
> > are usually slower. also it slows down drastically with larger db sizes.
>
> The message is dated November 18, 2004, 1:06 am... This is six month old
> news.
>
> And MySQL is faster _IF_ your site has no traffic. Once you get -> 5
> concurrent accesses to the database it falls over unless you use some
> very expensive tricks (time = money)

The main reason for the switch was simple supply and demand... most
users wanted the ability to use my$ql... I'd guess that this is because
most php programmers are more familiar with my$ql and my$ql still holds
the edge on the number of third party apps that often get used on free
hosting services like these.

Robert Treat