Re: [Fwd: [webmaster] in Search of free hosting with - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: [Fwd: [webmaster] in Search of free hosting with
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 08:38, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 07:43, tony wrote:
> > > >

> > > maybe they feel the slight improvement in speed with mysql is worth
> > > removing the postgrsql support.
> > > mysql is slightly faster in most cases, but it's enterprise class uses
> > > are usually slower. also it slows down drastically with larger db sizes.
> >
> > The message is dated November 18, 2004, 1:06 am... This is six month old
> > news.
> >
> > And MySQL is faster _IF_ your site has no traffic. Once you get -> 5
> > concurrent accesses to the database it falls over unless you use some
> > very expensive tricks (time = money)
> >

> The main reason for the switch was simple supply and demand... most
> users wanted the ability to use my$ql... I'd guess that this is because
> most php programmers are more familiar with my$ql and my$ql still holds
> the edge on the number of third party apps that often get used on free
> hosting services like these.

I'm not so sure.  Have you looked through the support forums there?
there's LOTS of folks who had chosen egeek just because they support
PostgreSQL and now seem pretty dissapointed.

Cheap MySQL hosting is easy to find, cheap / free pgsql hosting isn't,
so egeek probably had a lot of pgsql fans, even if they weren't the
majority.