Re: Consultants/support company list - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Consultants/support company list
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 03:46, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Assuming they do world wide support I think that would be
> > the scheme...
> > > otherwise you would be saying that any given company could
> > only offer
> > > support in one region.
> >
> > In that case, let's not bother with "regions".    Because
> > everybody is going
> > to say they have "worldwide support".   Heck, I have clients
> > in Europe,
> > Australia and India.

FWIW the current listing on the techdocs page breaks down something like
13 - 20  worldwide vs specific regions.

> > > Well... maybe rather than having it broken up by regions
> > within a page
> > > (using #africa and such) we could just make 6 pages... 1 for each
> > > region and 1 for all combined.
> >
> > That was my idea, but it's not going to work if we're not
> > just listing office locations.
>
> Another way of donig this would be to contol the "regions" part based
> just on where the company has offices, and then have them list
> "worldwide support available" in the description boxes.
> Yet another is to add a regino "global" that's for those that provide
> global support. (There are a lot of companies that don't do that, aren't
> there). Then companies like cmd would be listed in "global" and "north
> america".
>
> Doing this will also make the page significantly smaller, so it may not
> be a bad thing. We might not need to split it up into multiple pages yet
> ;-) [it's gonig to look pertty silly with lots of "subpages" that have
> just one entry each]
>
> I just tried to grab stuff of techdocs, and that was actually one thing
> I wasn't so sure about ;)
>
> Oleg wrote:
> > Why do I need to see Africa every time I visit this page ?
> > If there is no company ranking ( I assume we have no such ), I'd
> better show information about this service and how to
> > register.
>
> Good point, I'll look into filtering it out when there are no entries
> and just look there.
> But right now it's listed the way it is because there is one company
> (cmd) registered for Africa...

Well... I guess the other option is to just list everybody
alphabetically by default (like we do on techdocs) with "filter" links
that show the list of folks who provide support (both local and
globally) for a given region.

Robert Treat