Re: psql:t_mstr.sql:994: ERROR: function to_char(numeric) does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql:t_mstr.sql:994: ERROR: function to_char(numeric) does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
gzh  <gzhcoder@126.com> writes:
> I did the following two tests and found that the return value of pg_catalog.date and oracle.date are inconsistent.

Yeah ... that's pretty much the point.  Oracle uses the name "date"
for a data type that Postgres (and the SQL standard) calls a "timestamp".
That's very ancient on their side and I doubt they'll ever change it.

If you're porting a bunch of code written for Oracle to Postgres,
you'd have to run around and change every occurrence of "date" to
"timestamp" ... unless you install orafce, in which case you can
rely on this alias type that orafce creates.  But you do then have
two types named "date" in the system, so you have to be careful
about search_path settings or you'll get more confusion than it's
worth.

            regards, tom lane