Re: table constraints - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Casey T. Deccio
Subject Re: table constraints
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 09:56 -0700, Greg Patnude wrote:
> foreign keys and primary keys have to be defined as unique at the
> table /
> column level if you want to implement a check constraint -- your
> contrived
> example doesn't stand up all that well -- If you want to use
> constraints --
> then your database schema should conform to traditional RDBMS theory
> and
> data normalization by having  primary and foreign keys instead of just
> trying to create arbitrary contraints on a non-normalized schema and
> implement constraints as a user-defined function...

You are correct.  I did not take the time to write in these constraints
in the contrived example because I was rapidly trying to put together
something that would simply illustrate the problem.  They were/are in
place in my actual schema.  Thanks,

Casey