Re: [HACKERS] Optimizer fed bad data about some system-table indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Optimizer fed bad data about some system-table indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Hmm.  If you can get it to work without the file, great, or you could
> just delete the file when vacuum is performed, so the next backend
> recreates the file.  That would work too.

That's a good idea.  I made a test database with a couple thousand
tables in it, and found that when pg_class gets that big it does take
a measurable amount of time to rebuild the index info if the relcache
init file is not there.  (Looked like about a third of a second on my
machine.)  Since backend startup time is a hotbutton item for some
folks, I'm not going to take out the init file code.  I'll just make
VACUUM remove the file, and then the first backend start after a VACUUM
will rebuild the file with up-to-date statistics for the system indexes.