Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build
Date
Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build
Re: Tricky bugs in concurrent index build
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Is it not possible to brute force this adding an AM method to insert without
> the uniqueness check?

Hm.  Actually there already is a feature of aminsert to allow
suppressing the unique check, but I'm not sure whether using it for
RECENTLY_DEAD tuples helps.  Seems like we have to wait to see whether
DELETE_IN_PROGRESS deleters commit in any case.

>> Have I missed anything?  This is tricky stuff.

> Wow, that seems pretty unsatisfactory, all the waiting and locking sounds
> awful.

Yeah, I'm very unhappy.  The whole idea may be going down in flames :-(
It's fairly clear that we could support concurrent builds of nonunique
indexes, but is that enough of a use-case to justify it?