Re: who is best for support? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: who is best for support?
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:12, Joel Fradkin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to get postgres working on a Dell and am finidng my SQL
> queries run incrediably slow.
>
> I have tried to adjust cache and buffers, etc with no luck.
>
> Any advice on who would be best for help either it’s a config issue or
> a query issue etc.
>

> I been trying for a few weeks to get up to speed and diagnose, but I
> am running out of time.

Is this a single thread running slow, or poor performance under heavy
parallel access?

What drive controller do you have?  The stock adaptec RAID controllers
are pretty pokey (the 3I ones)  But the megaraid add on (4C) seem pretty
fast.

Is the load transactional or analytical?

Generally throwing more drives at the problem in a large RAID array.

Having lots of ram (and letting the kernel manage most of it) is a good
idea.

Have you posted your postgresql.conf to the list?

Lastly, you might want to take this to the performance list, as that's
where most of the people who know about performance tuning hang out.