psql's \h listing of commands doesn't look nice anymore - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject psql's \h listing of commands doesn't look nice anymore
Date
List pgsql-bugs
8.3's admittedly-pretty-verbose new commands for text search
configuration do not play nice with psql's \h listing of "available
help".  I see stuff like

  ALTER LANGUAGE            CREATE TABLE              EXECUTE
  ALTER OPERATOR CLASS      CREATE TABLE AS           EXPLAIN
  ALTER OPERATOR            CREATE TABLESPACE         FETCH
  ALTER OPERATOR FAMILY     CREATE TRIGGER            GRANT
  ALTER ROLE                CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATIONINSERT

  ALTER SCHEMA              CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARYLISTEN

  ALTER SEQUENCE            CREATE TEXT SEARCH PARSER LOAD
  ALTER TABLE               CREATE TEXT SEARCH TEMPLATELOCK

  ALTER TABLESPACE          CREATE TYPE               MOVE
  ALTER TRIGGER             CREATE USER               NOTIFY

Not sure if we want to consider dropping down to two columns, but in any
case I'd say a minimum requirement is at least two spaces between one
command and the one beside it (not one space, since we have multi-word
commands).  The code needs to handle that properly even when a command
name is wider than the column.  The trailing spaces aren't working out
well here, either --- that's what's causing the blank lines.

            regards, tom lane