Re: getting back autonumber just inserted - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: getting back autonumber just inserted
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 16:16, lorid wrote:
> I could have sworn I kept a copy of prior emails that discussed how to
> get back a value that was just inserted into a autonumber (or in
> postgresql case a sequence number)

If you know the name of the sequence the number came from you can use
currval():

insert into table1 (info) values ('abc');
select currval('table1seq');

Assuming table1seq is the name of the sequence here.

In 8.0 there's a function to do this (I'm not sure of the name, but a
quick search of the 8.0 docs should turn it up.)