Re: making use of large TLB pages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: making use of large TLB pages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
>> OK, personally, I would like to see an actual speedup of PostgreSQL
>> queries before I would apply such a OS-specific, version-specific
>> patch.

> Don't be silly. A performance improvement is a performance
> improvement.

No, Bruce was saying that he wanted to see demonstrable improvement
*due to this specific change* before committing to support a
platform-specific API.  I agree with him, actually.  If you do the
TLB code and can't measure any meaningful performance improvement
when using it vs. when not, I'd not be excited about cluttering the
distribution with it.

> I think it's at least worth implementing -- if it doesn't provide a
> noticeable performance improvement, then we don't need to merge it.

You're on the same page, you just don't realize it...