Re: [GENERAL] ERROR: out of shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] ERROR: out of shared memory
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Sorin N. Ciolofan" <ciolofan@ics.forth.gr> writes:
>    I have to manage an application written in java which call another module
> written in java which uses Postgre DBMS in a Linux environment. I'm new to
> Postgres. The problem is that for large amounts of data the application
> throws an:
>  org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: out of shared memory

AFAIK the only very likely way to cause that is to touch enough
different tables in one transaction that you run out of lock entries.
While you could postpone the problem by increasing the
max_locks_per_transaction setting, I suspect there may be some basic
application misdesign involved here.  How many tables have you got?

            regards, tom lane