Re: number of rown in a cursor. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: number of rown in a cursor.
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 10:58, Christoffer Gurell wrote:
> > Not without actually scanning the result, if that's what you meant.
>
> so basically i have to do a move to the end ?

yep.  This is because one of the advantages of a cursor is that it only
runs partially and returns the first X rows for the fetch.  This keeps
load down so that many cursors hitting the machine at once don't all
materialize all their rows and chew up all that I/O, cpu, and memory.
Unfortunately, one of the side effects of this methodology is that no
one knows how many rows there really are until they've been fetched.