Re: BLCKSZ:Max tuple size problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BLCKSZ:Max tuple size problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Nick Wayne <nick_wayne@yahoo.com> writes:
> I went thru all the mailing list archives and other
> documentation and found the way to increase the max
> tuple size clearly as " change the BLCKSZ to ...."
> I did that and even created a new data directory and
> cluster by using init_db but the error
> psql:ins.sql:173: ERROR:  Tuple is too big: size 9148,
> max size 8140
> still persists.

Sounds like you didn't do the rebuild correctly.  The full recipe is

1. Change BLCKSZ in include/config.h (after running configure).
2. Do a *full* compilation.  If you compiled already, do "make clean"  before "make all".  Do not rely on make
dependencies,because there  aren't any.

3. Install.
4. initdb.

> My question is that is there a way to reflect the
> chages to config.h in the database without
> re-istalling  postgresql.

No.  Page size is a pretty fundamental thing...