Re: [HACKERS] systable_getnext_ordered - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] systable_getnext_ordered
Date
List pgsql-novice
yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp (YAMAMOTO Takashi) writes:
> the attached patch is to avoid unnecessary detoast'ing and EOF marker pages
> when possible.  does it make sense?

The blob page size is already chosen not to allow for out-of-line
storage, not to mention that pg_largeobject doesn't have a TOAST table.
So I think avoiding detoasting is largely a waste of time.  I'm
unexcited about the other consideration too --- it looks to me like it
just makes truncation slower, more complicated, and hence more
bug-prone, in return for a possible speedup that probably nobody will
ever notice.

            regards, tom lane