Re: BUG #5246: Misleading/inconsistent SQLSTATE behavior - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5246: Misleading/inconsistent SQLSTATE behavior
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Chris Travers" <chris.travers@gmail.com> writes:
> I am noticing that that a failed database connection results in an unusable
> SQLSTATE in libpq, and a very different SQLSTATE than the backend
> registers.

> For example, if a connection fails due to a database not found, the backend
> registers 3D000 as a SQL state, but the front-end registers 25P01.  If a
> login fails, the back-end registers 28000 but the front-end registers 25P01
> again.

Exactly what "frontend" are you talking about here?  Because what this
sounds like to me is a client-side programming error.  It's certainly
not the backend's fault, and I doubt it is libpq's either.

            regards, tom lane