Re: High load on commit after important schema changes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: High load on commit after important schema changes
Date
Re: High load on commit after important schema changes  (hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com>)
List pgsql-general
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:28:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm, do you have forty or so idle backends hanging around while this
>> happens?  The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is
>> shared cache invalidation messages being broadcast to all the other
>> sessions.

> I have about 1000 backends running.

Ouch.  You need to update to 8.4 --- the SI messaging stuff will
definitely be hurting you with that many backends.  Or consider
using connection pooling or something to cut the number of backends.

            regards, tom lane