Re: Happiness is a cross database link... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Happiness is a cross database link...
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 18:23, Alex Turner wrote:
> I am trying to find out some information on how to set up a cross
> database links so that I can have queries and foreign keys that cross
> a physical database.  This is not just a technical requirement, but a
> legal one (The client requires that we do not co-mingle data).  I have
> a new database that has tables and indices named using a new naming
> schema, and an old database that was implemented based on a customer
> requirement that is ugly, and I don't really want to put everything
> into one database (technical reason).  I have read that contrib/dblink
> can do this, but I am unable to find any documentation for this
> features, or infact any documentation on what is in the 'contrib'
> pacakge.  Can anyone point me to a good place to find contrib docs, or
> and point me to database cross linking stuff.  My boss will be really
> pissed if I tell him we need to spend $10k to implement Oracle to have
> a good solution ;)

The docs for a contrib package are in their directory.  For PostgreSQL
7.4.6, the readme file for the contrib package is here:

postgresql-7.4.6/contrib/dblink/README.dblink

and the docs are int the directory

postgresql-7.4.6/contrib/dblink/doc

Assuming you have the .tar.gz version of postgresql.  IF you install
postgresql via packages then the location of such files are dependent on
how your packages are installed by your distribution.