Re: PostgreSQL users on webhosting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robby Russell
Subject Re: PostgreSQL users on webhosting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 12:34 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Benefits of multiple instances:
> (1) Let's say you're using the one-instance method and one of your web
> users is a less-than-talented developer, and makes an infinite loop that
> fills the database with garbage. Not only will that hurt performance,
> but if it fills the disk than no other users can even commit a
> transaction! If you seperate the instances, you can run each as its own
> uid and control each with quotas, etc.
> (2) You can do a certain amount of favoritism, i.e. you can allocate a
> lot of resources to your best customers, and less to the low-paying
> customers.

(3) Different versions of PostgreSQL on the same box. Some hosting
customers have applications that require older versions..and some
developers want the latest version. (ie, we have a few customers running
8.0 RC2..and will want 8.0 the day it's ready). I find this flexibility
a great reason why multiple instances are good for a hosting company.

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com