Re: Upgrade: 9.0.5->9.3.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Upgrade: 9.0.5->9.3.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> writes:
>    Now, -9.0.5 is installed in /usr/local/pgsql/ and -9.3.3 is installed in
> /opt/pgsql-9.3.3. I want to use pg_upgrade and have read the Web page with
> the instructions.

I'm guessing from those path names that you are using self-compiled
executables, not somebody's packaging?  If the latter, whose?  I'm
confused as to how you got pg_upgrade installed without knowing where
it came from.

>    Instruction #4 tells me to install pg_upgrade and pg_upgrade_support. I
> have the 9.0.5 version of pg_upgrade in /opt/postgresql-9.0.5/contrib/
> (without pg_upgrade_support). But, I do not see the 'contrib' page on
> postgresql.org. I find the 'community' and 'foundry' pages, but not the
> 'contrib' page. A pointer to pg_upgrade and pg_upgrade_support for 9.3.3 is
> needed.

contrib is part of the main PG distribution.  The sources for pg_upgrade
would be under contrib/pg_upgrade/ in an unpacked tarball, and
pg_upgrade_support lives next door in contrib/pg_upgrade_support/.
If you did a "make install" in contrib/ that would've installed both.

Possibly you're expecting pg_upgrade_support to produce an executable
under $installdir/bin?  It doesn't --- it should get installed as
lib/pg_upgrade_support.so or equivalent.  In any case, pg_upgrade will
certainly complain if it can't find it.

>    If my reading of the instructions is correct, the following command line
> should migrate my few, small databased from 9.0.5 to 9.3.3:

> pg_upgrade -b /usr/local/pgsql/bin -B /opt/pgsql-9.3.3/bin -d \
> /usr/local/pgsql/data -D /opt/pgsql-9.3.3/data

That's pretty much the base case.  If none of the other options appeal to
you, don't use 'em.

            regards, tom lane