Re: inconsistent time zone formats in log - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: inconsistent time zone formats in log
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2012-12-29 07:23:24 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The xlog code uses two different time zone formats at various times.

> One is a pg_time_t (stored in pg_control/ControlFileData), the other is
> a TimestampTz. Those have completely different code paths for being
> printed (pg_strftime vs EncodeDateTime) ...
> I don't want to say its impossible or shouldn't be fixed, just that its
> not trivial to do so.

Presumably, any fix would involve changing one or the other of those
so that we use only one timestamp representation in xlog.  I'm not
terribly convinced that it's worth worrying about though.  Do we need
microsecond precision in the database start/stop times?