Re: postgres crashes - could not reattach to shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres crashes - could not reattach to shared memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Sofer, Yuval <Yuval_Sofer@bmc.com> wrote:
>> PG "FATAL:� could not reattach to shared memory (key=5432001,
>> addr=02100000): Invalid argument.
>>
>> The version is 8.2.4, the platform is win32

> This was fixed in 8.3.8 and 8.4.1. I'm not entirely sure why it didn't
> get backpatched to 8.2 - it was mentioned in the discussion about the
> patch, but I don't see any reason for not back patching it stated.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-07/thrd5.php#00782

The patch that was being worked on at the time wouldn't have come close
to applying to 8.2, because the win32 shmem code got rearranged very
substantially for 8.3.  However, AIUI it's the same underlying
technology, so in principle it could be fixed the same way.

If we take seriously the proposition that we're still supporting 8.2
on Windows, we probably ought to do something about that.  If we don't,
we need to officially deprecate that version.

            regards, tom lane