Re: Fix for HP-UX shared library builds - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Giles Lean
Subject Re: Fix for HP-UX shared library builds
Date
List pgsql-patches
I wrote:

> Below is a patch against 7.3.1 that makes shared library major numbers
> useful on HP-UX.

Here is a revised version of the patch, changed per a suggestion of
Peter Eisentraut's to use +h $(soname) instead of +h $(shlib) in the
link command.

Peter's other question about old HP-UX versions was answered by Tom
Lane:

>    ifeq ($(PORTNAME), hpux)
>  ! # HPUX doesn't believe in version numbers for shlibs

Peter> Once upon the time this was true.  When did it change, and do we still
Peter> care about the pre-change versions?

Tom>   I believe I put in the comment, back when I was running HPUX
Tom>   9.something.  I concur with Giles that it's unlikely anyone cares
Tom>   about 9.x anymore.

Nobody has spoken up to say they use HP-UX 9.X.

Will someone apply this patch please?  I recommend it be applied to
the 7.3.x branch as well as HEAD as it will ease upgrading to 7.4
if there is ever a 7.3.2 release.

Regards,

Giles

*** src/Makefile.shlib-7.3.1    Thu Oct 10 02:21:54 2002
--- src/Makefile.shlib    Tue Jan  7 09:25:40 2003
***************
*** 126,134 ****
  endif

  ifeq ($(PORTNAME), hpux)
! # HPUX doesn't believe in version numbers for shlibs
!   shlib            := lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX)
!   LINK.shared        = $(LD) -b +b $(libdir)
  endif

  ifeq ($(PORTNAME), irix5)
--- 126,133 ----
  endif

  ifeq ($(PORTNAME), hpux)
!   shlib            := lib$(NAME)$(DLSUFFIX).$(SO_MAJOR_VERSION)
!   LINK.shared        = $(LD) +h $(soname) -b +b $(libdir)
  endif

  ifeq ($(PORTNAME), irix5)

--
Giles Lean