Re: OID's - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt
Subject Re: OID's
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

What about tableoids? Are they from the same generator as row oids (and
hence may suffer wrap-around)? Or are they unique across the db?

I ask because I'm currently using them to join a single table to rows in
arbitrary tables, something like:

| JOINME      |
| foreign_oid |
| foreign_id  |

Where foreign_oid is the tableoid of the table and foreign_id is the
(serial, not oid) id of the row in that table.

I dunno if it's bad design, but it's darn handy.