Re: postmaster segfaults with HUGE table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: postmaster segfaults with HUGE table
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 11:24 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> This seems too obvious a problem to have caused a bug

Well, I'd imagine that we've checked CREATE TABLE et al. with
somewhat-too-large values (like 2000 columns), which wouldn't be
sufficiently large to trigger the problem.

> presumably this has been there for a while?

Not sure.

> Does this mean that we do not have
> regression tests for each maximum setting ... i.e. are we missing a
> whole class of tests in the regression tests?

I'm always in favour of more regression tests -- patches are welcome :)

That said, there are some minor logistical problems with testing that a
70,000 column CREATE TABLE doesn't fail (it would be nice not to have to
include all that text in the regression tests themselves).

-Neil