Re: postmaster segfaults with HUGE table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: postmaster segfaults with HUGE table
List pgsql-hackers
> Good analysis.  We can't check earlier than DefineRelation AFAICS,
> because earlier stages don't know about inherited columns.
>
> On reflection I suspect there are similar issues with SELECTs that have
> more than 64K output columns.  This probably has to be guarded against
> in parser/analyze.c.

You're correct -- we also crash on extremely long SELECT statements.
Another variant of the problem would be a CREATE TABLE that inherits
from, say, 70 relations, each of which has 1,000 columns.

Attached is a patch. Not entirely sure that the checks I added are in
the right places, but at any rate this fixes the three identified
problems for me.

-Neil

Attachment