[Fwd: Re: [GENERAL] query problem] - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robin Ericsson
Subject [Fwd: Re: [GENERAL] query problem]
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sent this to wrong list.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Robin Ericsson <robin.ericsson@profecta.se>
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [PERFORM] query problem
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:27:20 +0200
On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 18:01 +0200, Robin Ericsson wrote:
> Using exact timestamp makes the query go back as it should in speed (see
> explain below). However I still have the problem using a stored
> procedure or even using the "ago"-example from above.

Well, changing ago() to use timestamp without time zone it goes ok in
the query. This query now takes ~2ms.

SELECT
        data.entered,
        data.machine_id,
        datatemplate_intervals.template_id,
        data_values.value
FROM
        data, data_values, datatemplate_intervals
WHERE
        datatemplate_intervals.id = data_values.template_id AND
        data_values.data_id = data.id AND
        data.machine_id IN (SELECT machine_id FROM machine_group_xref
WHERE group_id = 1) AND
        ago('60 seconds') < data.entered

Using it in this procedure.
select * from get_current_machine_status('60 seconds', 1);
takes ~100s. Maybe there's some obvious wrong I do about it?

CREATE TYPE public.mstatus_holder AS
   (entered timestamp,
    machine_id int4,
    template_id int4,
    value varchar);
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.get_current_machine_status(interval,
int4)
  RETURNS SETOF mstatus_holder AS
'
    SELECT
        data.entered,
        data.machine_id,
        datatemplate_intervals.template_id,
        data_values.value
    FROM
        data, data_values, datatemplate_intervals
    WHERE
        datatemplate_intervals.id = data_values.template_id AND
        data_values.data_id = data.id AND
        data.machine_id IN (SELECT machine_id FROM machine_group_xref WHERE
group_id = $2) AND
        ago($1) < data.entered
'
  LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE;