Re: Press Release, Final Draft? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 14:20, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Unless I am confused, the two features that we have are really Vacuum
> > and Vacuum Full. "Lazy Vacuum" is just a nickname that people use to
> > help differentiate it from full vacuums, but it is not a real feature
> > name, which is one of the reasons you wont find it mentioned in the docs
> > anywhere.
>
> Um, you prepare the Weekly News every week; how could you have missed this?
> Jan added adjustible delay settings for VACUUM which breaks it up into
> interruptable chunks, and interferes much less with concurrent I/O activity.
> This is a new feature -- I think you're just confused because Jan submitted
> it less than 2 months after 7.4 was released.
>
> However, Jan did have a second name for this if both you and Robert don't like
> Lazy Vacuum, which is Vacuum Delay.

:-)

I missed it because I have always refereed to *that* as "vacuum delay",
which is also how it is referenced in the docs. Yes, that stuff is
certainly new, but the thing that I conceptualize as "lazy vacuum" (the
lock friendly vacuum) is not... hence my confusion with your wording.

Robert Treat