Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ow <oneway_111@yahoo.com> writes:
> --- Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> wrote:
>> Are you talking about queries between databases on the same
>> postmaster

> Yes

> [snip]

> If db3 goes down then app12 is not affected, app23 could be partially
> affected (e.g. user may not be able to run historic queries) and app3
> is completely unavailable.

This is nonsense.  There is no scenario where one DB "goes down" and
other DBs on the same postmaster remain up.  There are advantages to
having separate DBs on one postmaster (like separate copies of the
system catalogs), but there's very little reliability differential
compared to a multi-schema approach.