Re: Removing unneeded self joins - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Removing unneeded self joins
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> What I would add is that I've seen cases where the extra joins do NOT
> hurt performance, so the extra CPU used to remove the join hurts more
> than the benefit of removing it. Yes, we tried it.

Interesting.  The concern I had was more about the cost imposed on every
query to detect self-joins and try to prove them useless, even in queries
where no benefit ensues.  It's possible that we can get that down to the
point where it's negligible; but this says that even the successful-proof
case has to be very cheap.