Re: comparison operators - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: comparison operators
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
>> I think I'd rather just say "for many data types" or something along
>> those lines, rather than imply that there is some obvious rule that
>> users should be able to intuit.

> Perhaps with a link to where the informaiton about which exist is
> available..?  Or a query to get the list?

Queries for this sort of thing are covered in the chapter about index
opclasses.  The basic query would be like

select opcintype::regtype from pg_opclass where opcmethod = 403 and opcdefault;

but I'm not sure if this is completely useful; it's not obvious for
example that the "text" opclass is also used for varchar.  Another
point is that some of the operators aren't named in the conventional
way.