Re: New to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Steve Bergman
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL
Date
Re: New to PostgreSQL  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 16:47 -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> They don't need to run postgreSQL on their developer machine. Just provide
> them with a test cluster or a developer's cluster and allow them to create
> and administer their own databases.

At work, I do run a MySQL and now also a PostgreSQL  server.  However,
one of my coworkers is taken in enough with the idea of using Open
Source tools that he wants to set up a development platform at home.
Historically, a Windows developer, he is installing Linux there.
However, he wants the ability to run the same stuff under Windows for
our clients who don't use Unix or Linux.

> > I am currently working on a project, which started out MySQL, but which
> > I am porting to PostGreSQL and will finish development of the two
> > branches in tandem.  This seems like a good way to get a feel for
> > similarities and differences.
> >

> There is so much out there that developing in parallel with MySQL will be
> like trying to race someone in a wheelchair in a wheelchair. Just because
> they are limited to a wheelchair shouldn't mean you have to do the same!
> You should be free to run, walk, or even catch a plane ride if you have
> that available.

I really appreciate the great responses that I have gotten here.  I have
ported my (rather small and simple, 1500 line, 4 tables) current project
to pgsql, and have already used a few pgsql features.  Namely, the (more
flexible) unique key constraints and also views.  When I decided to
develop the pgsql and mysql branches in tandem, I decided to guard
against trying to use pgsql as a mysql drop in replacement, since I knew
that would be unfair to pgsql.  I've decided, at this point do drop
development on the mysql branch and just finish up the pgsql branch.
I'm pretty much convinced that learning pgsql is where I should put my
efforts.  Once I've had some more time to study pgsql's capabilities,
I'll probably tear this project down and completely redesign it to take
full advantage.

-Steve