Re: New to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Steve Bergman
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL
Date
Re: New to PostgreSQL  ("Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 13:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> 1) thanks to O'Reilly, documentation and books on PHP+MySQL are much more
> available than PHP+PostgreSQL

Thank you so much for the insights.

As it happens I just got back from Barnes and Noble... empty handed.
The only PostgreSQL book they had was "Practical PostgreSQL" from
O'Reilly, Dec 2001.  I was really looking for "PostgreSQL: A
Comprehensive Guide to Building, Programming, and Administering
PostgreSQL Databases" by Korry Douglas and Susan Douglas, which is more
recent (Fed, 2003) and seems to get good reviews.  Does anyone have any
recommendations on a good book on PostgreSQL?

I'm a bit embarrassed about the Windows "multiplatform" comment.  I
should have phrased it better.  Also, I was just kind of *assumming*
that MySQL compiled on pretty much any POSIX platform.  The only OS of
great interest to me currently is Linux.  But I am trying, and with some
success, to get one of my Win32 using coworkers interested in open
source tools, and it is important to him that his new development
platform run on both Linux and Windows, hence my concern.

Thanks again!
Steve Bergman