Re: New to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 14:58, Steve Bergman wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 13:32 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > 1) thanks to O'Reilly, documentation and books on PHP+MySQL are much more
> > available than PHP+PostgreSQL
>
> Thank you so much for the insights.
>
> As it happens I just got back from Barnes and Noble... empty handed.
> The only PostgreSQL book they had was "Practical PostgreSQL" from
> O'Reilly, Dec 2001.  I was really looking for "PostgreSQL: A
> Comprehensive Guide to Building, Programming, and Administering
> PostgreSQL Databases" by Korry Douglas and Susan Douglas, which is more
> recent (Fed, 2003) and seems to get good reviews.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations on a good book on PostgreSQL?

I also like the php/postgresql book by Hans-Jurgen Schonig and Ewal
Geschwinde.  while there were quite a few typos due to it being
translated from German, the writing style and organization is pretty
good, and it's a good book for beginners as well as experienced
developers.

> I'm a bit embarrassed about the Windows "multiplatform" comment.  I
> should have phrased it better.  Also, I was just kind of *assumming*
> that MySQL compiled on pretty much any POSIX platform.  The only OS of
> great interest to me currently is Linux.  But I am trying, and with some
> success, to get one of my Win32 using coworkers interested in open
> source tools, and it is important to him that his new development
> platform run on both Linux and Windows, hence my concern.

At my last job (a company now sliding quickly into a Windows only trap,
sad, was a great company with a great unix shop before Lyle Lanley
showed up) I ran a central PostgreSQL server and anyone who wanted their
own database could have one.  It ran on my own workstation, which had
about 99.9% uptime without me really trying.  And I never really noticed
the load.  Of course, my workstation was a 1.4 GHz Celeron with 512 Meg
of RAM, so it wasn't puny by any standards.  Til windows native support
shows up in 7.5, you can always do that for a while.