Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Comments?

> My only real concern about this is that someone might get confused
> about whether they are supposed to issue CREATE EXTENSION or CREATE
> LANGUAGE.

It wouldn't really matter, up till the point when they tried to load an
extension that listed the language extension as a "requires".  And then
they could fix it with CREATE EXTENSION ... FROM unpackaged.  It's no
worse than the situation with contrib modules that haven't been upgraded
to extensions.

Also, to the extent that we can make all that "you forgot to upgrade it
to an extension" pain happen in 9.1, I think that's better than
spreading it over multiple releases.  Which is what will happen if we
don't extension-ify languages till later.