Re: number of pgsql connections established. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: number of pgsql connections established.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 08:53, Ananthajothi wrote:
> Hello Sir,
>
>     I like to know in postgresql,
>     how many connections are established in the system?.
>     how many connections can be made?.
>
>     We are using linux.

You can have as many as your machine's hardware will support; there is a
default allowance of 100, but this can be changed to whatever number you
like.  However, each extra backend requires a certain amount of extra
memory, so the practical limit is set by your RAM and by the ability of
your processor(s) and I/O to cope with multiple simultaneous queries.

You will need to configure the Linux kernel to allow sufficient shared
memory and other required system resources.

     "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give
      thee the desires of thine heart."
                                  Psalms 37:4