Re: merge-join for domain with underlying type text - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: merge-join for domain with underlying type text
Date
List pgsql-sql
Randall Lucas <rlucas@tercent.net> writes:
> Hackers, why is this?  It seems to me that since everything else (or
> everything I've run into so far, up to the full outer joins) is
> implicitly the same for a simple domain and its underlying base type,
> that it would make sense if this, too, Just Worked.

It does Just Work ... in CVS tip.  I can't make it magically work in
7.3 --- at least not without back-patching a lot of stuff that hasn't
been through beta-testing yet.

The problem is that mergejoin in existing releases will only work on
plain "Var = Var" clauses.  Your domain case doesn't look like that
because of the runtime cast operators.
        regards, tom lane