Re: error messages in extended statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: error messages in extended statistics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Error reporting in extended statistics is inconsistent -- many messages
> that are ereport() in mvdistinct.c are elog() in the other modules.
> I think this should be cleaned up, while at the same time not giving too
> much hassle for translators; for example, this message
> dependencies.c:     elog(ERROR, "invalid MVDependencies size %zd (expected at least %zd)",
> should not only be turned into an ereport(), but also the MVDependencies
> part turned into a %s.  (Alternatively, we could decide I was wrong and
> turn them all back into elogs, but I obviously vote against that.)

FWIW, I'd vote the other way: that seems like a clear "internal error",
so making translators deal with it is just make-work.  It should be an
elog.  If there's a reasonably plausible way for a user to trigger an
error condition, then yes ereport, but if we're reporting situations
that couldn't happen without a server bug then elog seems fine.