Re: Error in PQsetvalue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Error in PQsetvalue
Date
Re: Error in PQsetvalue
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I went ahead and tested andrew's second patch -- can we get this
>>> reviewed and committed?

>> Add it to the upcoming commitfest.

> It's a client crashing bug in PQsetvalue that goes back to 9.0 :(.

I was under the impression that this was extending PQsetvalue to let it
be used in previously unsupported ways, ie, to modify a server-returned
PGresult.  That's a feature addition, not a bug fix.  I'm not even sure
it's a feature addition I approve of.  I think serious consideration
ought to be given to locking down returned results so PQsetvalue refuses
to touch them, instead.  Otherwise we're likely to find ourselves unable
to make future optimizations because we have to support this
barely-used-by-anybody corner case.