Re: Join a varchar array - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robin Ericsson
Subject Re: Join a varchar array
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 11:38, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Robin Ericsson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a field in which I save the follow:
> > {{8,0.58},{9,972420},{10,239544},{6,0.49},{7,0.63}}
> >
> > The first field is a reference to an id in another table and the second
> > field is a value.
> >
> > Can these values be used somehow in a select query to join the other
> > table?
>
> You appear to be using the array as a replacement for a table. Don't do
> that. From the little information you've provided, it looks like you
> want a separate table (a_ref, b_ref, float_val) where a_ref references
> the current table, b_ref the other table.

Thats correct, I choose this way because there will be a lot of entries
and it will grow pretty quickly, but maybe postgres will be able to
handle this?

If I went for a separate table it will contain over 3 milj. entries
within in a couple of weeks and still grow after that but not at the
same speed as the first weeks.

regards
Robin